Saturday, April 29, 2000 & Saturday, April 28, 2001
Founder's Day at Old Loughborough has become a club tradition. It was a wonderful celebration again this year. Thanks again to Anne Mehringer '69 and husband Terry Beaty for sharing their home. It was the perfect venue for all ages, with gardens and trails and history and beauty. There was a wonderful turn out and everyone enjoyed. Many thanks!
In addition to the marvelous venue, the hits of the day were the chance to sample Vassar (root)Beer, our own club scholarship fundraising project, and the Vassar Trivia Contest. If you missed the event, take the test yourself by clicking HERE.
Anne kindly offered her home as the venue for Vassar alums to gather, toast our founder and a tour of historic Milton, beautiful spring gardens and guests with whom we all have something special to celebrate – Matthew Vassar, and his legacy.
Milton, or Old Loughborough, is the oldest standing house in Montgomery County. The original wing was built in 1700 as an Indian trading post, the house was acquired in 1806 by Nathan Loughborough and tripled in size. The original hand-dug well, smoke house and foundation of the springhouse still survive. Anne and her husband, Terry Beaty, are just the third owners of this property in the last 200 years.
There was something of interest for everyone – historians, architects, botanists, gardeners, oenophiles (wine cellar holds 5,000 bottles), and even dog lovers -- two beautiful Bouviers! Anne is on the advisory board of the Renwick Gallery, so it is no surprise that she has assembled an exceptional collection of contemporary crafts. A glass medallion by Lino Tagliopietra, and a turned wooden bowl by Phillip Moulthrop, are just two of many highlights.